I. Meeting called to order by President Beuerlein at 9:19 AM.
A. Pledge of Allegiance - Mrs. Graham
and Introductions - Mr. Beuerlein
Mr. Beuerlein introduced Captain Larry Giles who introduced Elena Mae Tellechea and provided general house keeping and information.
C. Roll Call of Delegates - Mr. Richardson
|LA County Lakes||24||3||3||0||3|
|Orange County LA||11||2||0||0||0|
|San Luis Obispo County||27||3||0||0||0|
|Santa Barbara Co. Campus Pt.||12||2||2||0||2|
II. Approval of Minutes — San Clemente Lifeguard Association (April 15 & 16, 2010)
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Gray to approve the minutes as submitted.
SECOND: Mr. Lombardi
IV. Officer’s Reports
A. President Mr. Beuerlein ATTACHMENT A
B. Vice President Mrs. Graham ATTACHMENT B
C. Secretary Mr. Richardson ATTACHMENT C
D. Treasurer Mr. Williams ATTACHMENT D
E. Past President/Advisor Mr. McGowan VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. McGowan thanked Encinitas and expressed pleasure over the fine turnout, felt that the last three meetings, and particularly those in San Diego County had brought out more attendees than usual.
2. As with all the Officers, Mr. McGowan has been attending regular Executive Board Meetings and the USLA Meeting in Galveston.
3. Mr. McGowan has had the pleasure of announcing both the Regional's and National's. On that note, he thanked SHP for the support of the Regional's and specifically the last minute "bailout".
4. Mr. McGowan also congratulated the USLA National Team on a fine result in Egypt.
F. 1st Executive Delegate Mrs. Boyer VERBAL REPORT
1. Mrs. Boyer thanked attendees for their presence and Mr. Beuerlein for his passion in opening the meeting.
2. Mrs. Boyer advised of the need for passion in these meetings. She explained that the Executive Board works with passion on the Board Director's behalf all year long with monthly meetings to do the work of CSLSA. She followed by explaining her responsibilities briefly as 1st Executive Delegate.
3. Mrs. Boyer advised all to remember to take something home from this meeting and share that information with supervisors and/or subordinates.
G. 2nd Executive Delegate Mr. Moore ATTACHMENT E
H. 3rd Executive Delegate Mr. Butki Deferred to Committee
I. 4th Executive Delegate Mr. Humpheys Deferred to Committee
V. Committee Activity Reports
A. Awards and Presentations Mr. Richardson ATTACHMENT F
B. Certification Mr. Hidalgo ATTACHMENT G
C. Competition Mr. Butki ATTACHMENT H
D. Exchanges Mr. Mitchell ATTACHMENT I
E. Junior Lifeguards Mrs. Boyer/Walton ATTACHMENT J
F. Legislation & Statistics Mr. Peabody ATTACHMENT K
G. Membership Mrs. Graham ATTACHMENT L
H. Newsletter Mr. Godino ATTACHMENT M
I. Public Education Mr. Humphreys/ Mr. Pierce ATTACHMENT N
J. Training & Operations Mr. Silvestri-Absent Mr. Allen will lead Committee
K. Website Mr. R. Moore ATTACHMENT O
VI. Awards Presentations
A. Life Member was awarded to Mr. Gordon Gray. Mr. Beuerlein presented him with a framed Life Member certificate.
VII. Committee Workshops (as directed)
Meeting adjourned at 5:00 PM.
Meeting reconvened at 9:20 AM on Friday, October 15, 2010.
Friday, October 15, 2010
VIII. Committee Action Reports from Workshops
A. Awards and Presentations Mr. Richardson ATTACHMENT P
1. Development of a "Lifetime Achievement Award"
|MOTION:||Mr. Peabody moved to approve the development of a Life Time Achievement Award for Policies & Procedures.|
SECOND: Mr. Ragsdale
2. Approval of Mr. Hubbell as the recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award
|MOTION:||Mr. Moore moved to approve Mr. Hubbell as the recipient of the first Lifetime Achievement Award.|
SECOND: Mrs. Graham
|DISCUSSION:||Mr. Bailey questioned issuing an award without a definition of the award in place.|
|MOTION:||Mr. Williams moved to table the motion until New Business at which time a definition will be provided.|
SECOND: Mrs. Graham
ACTION: MPU to table the matter until New Business.
B. Certification Mr. Hidalgo NO REPORT
C. Competition Mr. Butki ATTACHMENT Q
It was moved by Mr. Ragsdale to approve the report with the notation of providing $500 to Brian Murphy of LACOLA from Competition funds.
SECOND: Mr. Gray
|DISCUSSION:||Mr. Avila asked why the Executive Board had not supported the change of dates for the USLA Nationals in 2010 at the Galveston Meeting. Considerable additional discussion ensued. Mr. Richardson read the motion and action from the San Clemente Spring Meeting Minutes which states: "The CSLSA Competition Committee has no opposition to the HSBLA USLA National Lifeguard Championships organizing committee changing the dates to August 12, 13, and 14." Based upon this information it was determined that the Executive Board met the intent of this action in abstaining during the vote at the Galveston Meeting.|
D. Exchanges Mr. Mitchell ATTACHMENT R
E. Junior Lifeguards Mrs. Boyer/Walton ATTACHMENT S
F. Legislation & Statistics Mr. Peabody ATTACHMENT T
G. Membership Mrs. Graham ATTACHMENT U
H. Newsletter Mr. Godino NO REPORT
I. Public Education Mr. Pierce ATTACHMENT V
J. Training & Operations Mr. Allen ATTACHMENT W
K. Ways & Means Mr. Williams
1. Restriction of Rock Bottom Funds to public Education use.
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Peabody to accept the proposed 2011 budget as presented.
SECOND: Mrs. Ragsdale
IX. Old Business
A. California Lifeguard Pledge
1. Mr. Peabody revisited the matter of a California Lifeguard Pledge and reemphasized his belief that the pledge is important. His goal is to establish a Lifeguard Pledge for the CSLSA Lifeguard Pledge. Discussion ensued on the value of the pledge but the constraint of not mandating to agencies is beyond the purview of the association. The following is the pledge as provided by Mr. Peabody.
|SAMPLE CALIFORNIA LIFEGUARD PLEDGE|
|Please repeat after me:
As a Lifeguard, I dedicate myself to saving others who may be in danger and accept that my duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives, prevent injury and death whenever possible by educating the public about aquatic hazards and providing emergency response and care.
I recognize that my personal and professional life should reflect the attributes of SERVICE, VIGILANCE, ENDURANCE and I pledge to keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courage and calm in the face of danger; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department.
Recognizing that drownings may occur within seconds, I will maintain my physical readiness and vigilance at all times. I will respond immediately when I see those who are in danger. I will be courteous and respectful to the public; my co-workers; my supervisors; and to those I may lead.
I recognize the lifeguard patch of my department as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the lifeguard service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen profession as a lifeguard for Name of your agency.
Moved by Mrs. Graham to post the Lifeguard Pledge on the Website.
SECOND: Mr. Gray
|DISCUSSION:||Considerable discussion ensued on the use and placement of the "Pledge" including where to place the statement on the Website. Mr. Moore advised that he will work with the Web Master to place the pledge in an appropriate location, which can be reviewed by the Board at their discretion.|
B. Tidelines Contract ATTACHMENT Y
Moved by Mr. Graham to approve the contract as submitted.
SECOND: Mr. Gray
|DISCUSSION:||Concern over intellectual properties and the possibility of additional costs to CSLSA. The contract speaks to these issues.|
C. USLA and CSLSA Bylaw Proposals regarding the definition of a Professional Member.
1. Proposed Bylaw Change - USLA Bylaws, Article V, Section 2-A to read as follows:
a) To qualify as a Professional Member, an individual must:
1) be a direct, active, seasonal, or retired individual
employee, including a chief, director or equivalent, who has worked in the capacity as a lifeguard for an ocean, bay, lake, river or rescue service; and...
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Gray to adopt the proposed USLA amendment for the CSLSA Bylaws.
SECOND: Mr. Ragsdale
|DISCUSSION:||This amendment cleans up the Bylaw to insure that members are or have been lifeguards. The issue has been created out of agencies that have been absorbed by Fire or Police Departments, subsequently Fire and Police personnel, who have not been lifeguards, have been participating in Regional and National Competitions. Vote will be at the Fall USLA Meeting as well.|
D. Approval of Policies and Procedures for Hosting CSLSA BOD Meetings. ATTACHMENT Z
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Lombardi to approve Policies and Procedures for Hosting CSLSA BOD Meetings.
SECOND: Mr. Ragsdale
|DISCUSSION:||Recommendation by Mr. Mitchell to include the Exchange guards in the section whereby the host would pay for their lunches. Mr. Williams felt that the Chapter from which the Exchange guards were from should cover their lunches. Mr. Moore suggested that the Board of Directors vote on the motion as is and deal with the issue of Exchange guards at a later time.|
ACTION: Motion passed by majority vote with one opposed.
X. New Business
A. Proposed addition of Lifetime Achievement Award category to Policies and Procedures
1. Mr. Richardson submitted a recommendation for the wording in Policies & Procedures for a Lifetime Achievement Award.
2. After considerable discussion, Mr. Richardson withdrew the submitted wording and asked that the Board provide a recommendation for new wording.
3. Mr. Moore expressed concern over what the real issue is in this matter and if it is issuing the first award as recommend then let's vote that issue and move on.
4. In reviewing these Minutes it was found that the Lifetime Achievement Award concept had already been approved, albeit without a specific definition.
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Moore to award Mr. Hubbell a Lifetime Achievement Award.
SECOND: Mr. Anderson
|DISCUSSION:||Appropriate wording will be used to define his accomplishments and contributions.|
QUESTION: Mr. Ragsdale
ACTION: Motion passed by majority vote with four opposed.
B. Bylaws/Policies & Procedures Committee
1. Mr. Williams expressed concern that there is no existing Bylaws/Policies & Procedures Committee and that issues like the one we have just completed could be avoided with a formal committee and their input.
2. In light of this, Mr. Beuerlein appointed Mr. Richardson as the Chair of the Bylaws/Policies & Procedures Committee. Mr. Richardson declined the appointment for personal reasons.
3. Mr. Beuerlein then appointed Mr. Moore as the Chair, which he accepted upon condition of Mr. Richardson's continued involvement. Mr. Moore advised he will make access to the new Committee as easy as possible by posting the contact information in the Committee section of the Website.
C. USLA Marketing Agent
1. Mr. Beuerlein advised the Board of the contract that was signed by USLA with the Issac's Group. Considerable discussion ensued on the contract and the concerns of CSLSA. The Executive Board will continue to monitor this issue and express concern over a minimally productive agreement.
D. Role of USLA Executive Committee & USLA BOD Meeting Procedures
1. Mr. Beuerlein reported that there had been a communication between he and Mr. Brewster regarding the concern CSLSA has with regard to the role of the Executive Committee and another issue relating to only delegates speaking at USLA BOD meetings.
E. Future Meetings
1. CSLSA Meeting Dates & Locations
2. USLA Meeting Dates & Locations
|1)||Location:||Scheduled for the west and listed as Pacific Islands Region, Hawaii (Site TBD), however, there was discussion on holding the meeting in the New England Region if the Region is organized and able to host the meeting.|
XI. Privilege of the Chair - Mr. Beuerlein
A. President's Closing Comments
1. Thank you to those in attendance for caring enough to take the time to support CSLSA's goals.
2. Members of the CSLSA Board of Directors are leaders in their chapters, agencies and communities.
3. CSLSA has been a leader in lifesaving dating back to the formation of the NSLA (the current day USLA) in 1964.
4. CSLSA has been instrumental in the development of USLA Bylaws and Policies & Procedures.
5. CSLSA is the members working together as teammates to accomplish CSLSA's goals.
6. CSLSA is successful because of the commitment, dedication and passion of the members to fulfill CSLSA's mission.
7. Special thanks to the Encinitas crew of Larry Giles, Elena Tellechea, Rob Veria, Paul Chapman, Anne Howe and David Huff. Everything was excellent (i.e. golf, meeting site, breakfast burritos, sponsorship, dinner, etc.).
8. The challenge for the CSLSA Board of Director's is two-fold: 1) take information from this meeting back to their chapters and agencies, and 2) get more involved by volunteering to lead a Membership or Public Education Project, officiate during the CSLSA Regional Championships, host a Training exercise or write a Cal Surf News article.
Mr. Peabody moved to adjourn the meeting in honor and recognition of the memory of Mr. Ron Schafer.