|BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Dockweiler Youth Center
April 14 & 15, 2011
(Acrobat) CLICK HERE
|Thursday, April 14, 2011
I. Call to Order by Mr. Beuerlein at 9:03 A.M.
A. Pledge of Allegiance - Mrs. Graham
B. Welcome and Introductions - Mr. Beuerlein
C. Explanation of Amended Agenda - Mr. Beuerlein D.
Call of Delegates - Mr. Richardson
D. Roll Call of Delegates - Mr. Richardson
II. Approval of Minutes — Encinitas Meeting, October 14 & 15, 2010
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Ragsdale to approve the minutes as submitted.
SECOND: Mr. Pepito
III. Officer’s Reports
A. President Mr. Beuerlein ATTACHMENT 1
B. Vice President Mrs. Graham ATTACHMENT 2
C. Secretary Mr. Richardson ATTACHMENT 3
D. Treasurer Mr. Williams ATTACHMENT 4
E. Past President/Advisor Mr. McGowan VERBAL REPORT
1. Reported that he had a great deal of communication between SDLA and CSLSA as the primary liaison. The end result is that the CSLSA Regional's will not be held in San Diego, and that the issue was entirely financial in nature. CSLSA feels that the offer to SDLA was the best, by far, ever offered to a chapter as the host of our Regional's.
2. Thankfully Mike Frazer, along with the other Chiefs in LA County, and Scott Hubbell has stepped up to fill the void. Mr. Butki will report more on the Regional's in the Competition Committee this afternoon.
3. Assisted as a member of the Host Committee for this meeting
4. Will be continuing to attend meetings on behalf of CSLSA.
F. 1st Executive Delegate Mrs. Boyer ATTACHMENT 5
G. 2nd Executive Delegate Mr. Moore ATTACHMENT 6
Presentation of "Life Member Award" to Mr. Gordon Gray by Mr. Chris Brewster, USLA President
Meeting Recessed at 10 A.M. Budget Summit - "Lifesaving in the New Economy"
Sponsor Presentations - 12:30 P.M.
LUNCH 12:45 P.M. - 1:30 P.M.
IV. Committee Workshops (as directed) - Reconvene at 1:30 PM
Friday, April 15, 2011
V. Committee Reports from Workshops
A. Training & Operations Mr. Silvestri ATTACHMENT 7
B. Certification Mr. Hidalgo ATTACHMENT 8
C. Competition Mr. Butki ATTACHMENT 9
D. Exchanges Mr. Mitchell ATTACHMENT 10
1. Mr. Mitchell reported on the status of exchange for 2011 regarding the Auckland' representatives coming this year.
2. Mr. Mitchell introduced Marcos Pimentel & Morgan McGowan who reported on their trip this past New Zealand summer. Both returned just one week ago after extending their personal stays in NZ and then moving onto Australia.
3. Approximately six people attended the Committee Meeting. Reviewed the recently completed exchange and made recommendations on changes for the application process.
4. Discussed the Alumni fund, money which is left in the account from previous years.
5. Reported that the additional expenditures from the committee are related to clean-up work and mailing of the plaques.
6. Thanked Fred Simpson of Viper fins.
E. Junior Lifeguards Mrs. Boyer/Mrs. Walton ATTACHMENT 11
F. Legislation & Statistics Mr. Peabody ATTACHMENT 12
G. Membership Mrs. Graham ATTACHMENT 13
H. Newsletter Mr. Godino ATTACHMENT 14
I. Bylaws/Policies & Procedures Mr. Moore ATTACHMENT 15
The following changes are recommended by the Committee to be adopted and added to the Manual:
1. Add the following to Policy I-A-F. Policies & Procedures Review and G. Monitor USLA Bylaws/Policies and Procedures for conflicts with CSLSA Bylaws/Policies and Procedures.
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Ragsdale to adopt the recommended change as submitted by the Committee.
SECOND: Mr. Pepito
2. Distinguished Honor Roll - add document and application for to the Bylaws/Policies and Procedures and place it as Policy Number II-G.
MOTION: Moved by Mrs. Graham to adopt the recommended change as submitted by the Committee.
SECOND: Mr. Ragsdale
3. Rectify error in voting requirement for confirmation of Life Member Policy Number II-H.B.6 to unanimous vote to align with past practice, past Bylaws/Policies and Procedures manuals, and the USLA requirements.
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Pepito to adopt the recommended change as submitted by the Committee.
SECOND: Mr. Hughes
4. Approval of entire CSLSA Policy and Procedures Manual correction of typographical, grammatical and formatting errors.
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Huff to adopt the recommended changes and corrections as submitted to the Committee.
SECOND: Mr. Lumb
J. Public Education Mr. Humphreys ATTACHMENT 16
SECOND: Mr. Williams
K. Website Mr. R. Moore ATTACHMENT 17
L. Ways & Means Mr. Williams
1. 2010 Website Committee Budget Allocation
SECOND: Mr. Moore
2. Distribution of $40 entry fees for Regional's
1. CSLSA Meeting Dates & Locations
2. USLA Meeting Dates & Locations
1. Thank you to Bill Humphreys for organizing the CSLSA Budget Summit. The moderator was awesome, the speakers were great and board member questions helped to clearly define the economic challenges that lie ahead for our profession. Overall, the summit was a huge success and should benefit all chapters and agencies.
2. Thank you to all the vendors who helped LACOLA stage this meeting.
3. Special thanks to the LACOLA crew (Bob Moore, Rob McGowan, Jay Butki, Charlotte Graham, Tracy Lizzotte, Steve Powell) and Los Angeles County Lifeguard Chief Mike Frazer for an awesome meeting at a great facility.
4. Lifeguards and politicians know that the coast is the foundation of the California economy, but politicians are reluctant to recognize the lifeguard's role in boosting the California economy. As lifeguards, we need to do a better job of marketing what we do and how our job performance impacts local economies. Innuendo of layoffs leads to uncertainty which manufactures confusion which results in fear. The loss of jobs is a frightening and painful prospect, but a real possibility in economic times when public sentiment is not favorable toward government employees.
5. Lifeguards are strongest when they are united with their fellow lifeguards, Chapters, Regions and the USLA. CSLSA continues to do whatever it can to promote beach safety awareness and professional lifesaving standards.
William J. Richardson