|BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Hosted by Huntington Beach
April 12 & 13, 2012
(Acrobat) CLICK HERE
|Thursday, April 12, 2012
I. Call to Order by Mr. Beuerlein at 9:18 A.M.
A. Pledge of Allegiance - Mrs. Graham
B. Welcome and Introductions - Mr. Beuerlein
C. Roll Call of Delegates - Mr. Humphreys
D. Special Guest - Paul Dunning
II. Approval of Board of Director's Meeting Minutes - San Dimas, October 15 & 16, 2011MOTION: Moved by Mr. Moore to approve the Minutes as submitted.
SECOND: Mr. Pepito
III. Officer's Reports
A. President - Mr. Beuerlein - ATTACHMENT 1
B. Vice President - Mrs. Graham - ATTACHMENT 2
C. Secretary - Mr. Humphreys - NO REPORT
D. Treasurer - Mr. Williams - ATTACHMENT 3
E. Past President/Advisor - Mr. McGowan - NO REPORT
F. 1st Executive Delegate - Mrs. Boyer - ATTACHMENT 4
G. 2nd Executive Delegate - Mr. Avila - ATTACHMENT 5
H. 3rd Executive Delegate - Mr. Butki - NO REPORT
I. 4th Executive Delegate - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 6
IV. Committee Reports
A. Bylaws/Policies/Procedures - Mr. Humphreys - NO REPORT
B. Certification - Mr. Richardson - ATTACHMENT 7
C. Competition - Mr. Butki - ATTACHMENT 8
D. Exchanges - Mr. Leach/ McGowan - ATTACHMENT 9
E. Grants - Mr. Lizotte - NO REPORT
F. Junior Lifeguards - Mrs. Boyer/Ms.Walton - ATTACHMENT 10
G. Legislation - Mr. Peabody - ATTACHMENT 11
H. Membership - Mrs. Graham - ATTACHMENT 12
I. Newsletter - Mr. Godino - ATTACHMENT 13
J. Professional Standards - Mr. Jacobson - ATTACHMENT 14
K. Public Education - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 15
L. Public Relations - Mr. Bond - ATTACHMENT 16
M. Special Awards/Presentations- Mr. Pepito - ATTACHMENT 17
N. Statistics - Mr. Peabody - VERBAL REPORT
1. Lifeguard statistics being used politically. State lifeguards threatened in Governor's budget. Please submit statistics to Rick Gould, USLA statistician.
O. Training & Operations - Mr. Scott - ATTACHMENT 18
P. Ways and Means - Mr. Williams - NO REPORT
Q. Website - Mr. Moore - ATTACHMENT 19
V. Sponsor Presentations
VI. Awards Presentations
VII. Committee Workshops/Working Groups
---- Meeting Recessed for the day at 5:00 p.m. ---
Friday, April 13, 2012 - Meeting reconvened at 9:16 a.m.
VIII. Committee Action Reports from Workshops
1. Applications shall be submitted confidentially to the CSLSA Secretary. It is recommended that such application be submitted 30 days in advance of a Board of Director's Meeting.
2. Applications must be signed by the submitting Chapter's President or Officer of the CSLSA.
3. The application must be submitted to the Secretary of the CSLSA in advance of a meeting of the Board of Directors to be considered at such meeting.
4. At any Board of Directors meeting, prior to which an application for Life Membership has been submitted to the Secretary as described above, a committee will be convened to consider the application or applications. The committee shall be composed of one member of the Board of Directors from each Chapter wishing to participate. Any current Life Member present at the meeting shall be permitted to attend the committee meeting and participate in discussions, however, that Life Member may not have voting privileges unless they are the sole representative of their respective chapter. Each chapter shall be responsible for selecting their representative and a proxy vote shall not be permitted. The meeting shall be chaired by a person selected by the President of the CSLSA or presiding officer of the Board of Directors meeting.
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Moore to approve the report as submitted.
SECOND: Mr. Graham
B. Certification - Mr. Richardson - NO REPORT
C. Competition - Mr. Butki - ATTACHMENT 20
D. Exchanges - Mr. Leach/ McGowan - ATTACHMENT 21
E. Grants - Mr. Lizotte - NO REPORT
F. Junior Lifeguards - Mrs. Boyer/Ms.Walton - ATTACHMENT 22
G. Legislation - Mr. Peabody - NO REPORT
H. Membership - Mrs. Graham - ATTACHMENT 23
I. Newsletter - Mr. Godino - NO REPORT
J. Professional Standards - Mr. Jacobson - VERBAL REPORT
1. Email from Mr. Jacobson read stating committee is in early states with goals to identify minimum standards for various lifeguard positions and to monitor and provide input into legislation impacting lifeguards.
K. Public Education - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 24
L. Public Relations - Mr. Bond - VERBAL REPORT
1. Request for review of Public Relations document previously submitted and for assistance with committee work in the future. Request made for consideration of lifeguard ethics to be added to document and for all lifeguards to review the lifeguard pledge located on the CSLSA website.
M. Special Awards/Presentations- Mr. Pepito - ATTACHMENT 25
N. Statistics - Mr. Peabody - NO REPORT
O. Training & Operations - Mr. Scott - ATTACHMENT 26
P. Ways and Means - Mr. Williams - ATTACHMENT 27
Q. Website - Mr. Moore - VERBAL REPORT
1. Committee chairs should send any website change requests to website committee. Request for all Exec. Board members to check their Site Mail and clean out on a regular basis.
IX. Old Business
X. New Business
XI. Future Meetings
A. CSLSA Meetings Dates & Locations
1. Fall 2012
a. Santa Cruz
b. Dates: October 11 & 12, 2012
2. Spring 2013
a. Location: TBD (Encinitas, Coronado, and Lake Mission Viejo are possible locations)
b. Dates: TBD
B. USLA Meeting Dates & Location
1. Spring 2012
a. Location: South East Region Hosting in Miami, FL
b. Dates: April 26-28, 2012
2. Fall 2012
a. Location: Great Lakes Region - Minneapolis, MN.
b. Dates: October 25-27, 2012
XII. Privilege of the Chair - Mr. Beuerlein
A. President's closing comments
1. Thanked BOD for being inclusive, cooperative, and harmonious group.
2. Thanked sponsors of BOD meeting: Reuter's Mark Cunningham, Victory, Ule, and C4.
3. Congratulated Pat Francis on award and work on CSLSA website.
4. Recognized Mike Bartlett for work as editor for ALM and article "Not on My Watch."
5. Congratulated Mike Silvestri for work on lifeguard training, public education, Project Wipeout, AB 1245, and Youth Expo.
6. Congratulated Alex Peabody on recent retirement and years of service in lifesaving.
7. Thanked the HBSLA for hosting the meeting.
8. Proud of region for being progressive and taking over Project Wipeout.
9. Congratulated Kai Bond for work on Public Relations document.
XIII. AdjournmentMOTION: Moved by Mr. Richardson to adjourn.
SECOND: Mr. Lombardi
ACTION: MPU; meeting adjourned at 11:35 a.m.