|BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Newport Beach, CA 92662
April 9, 2015
(Acrobat) CLICK HERE
|Thursday, April 9, 2015
I. Meeting called to order by Mr. Beuerlein at 8:42 A.M.
A. Pledge of Allegiance - Mr. Humphreys
B. Welcome and Introductions - Mr. Beuerlein
C. Roll Call of Delegates - Mr. Bond
II. Approval of Board of Director's Meeting Minutes - San Clemente, October 9 & 10, 2014MOTION: Moved by Mr. Moore to approve the Minutes as submitted.
SECOND: Mr. Ragsdale
III. Officer's Reports
A. President - Mr. Beuerlein - ATTACHMENT 1
1. Mr. Beuerlein thanked the San Clemente Lifeguard Association and Chief Humphreys for hosting the CSLSA fall meeting. The President gave a preview for Project Wipeout and Imagineology and complemented the people behind the scene for developing a great seminar. The John Wayne Cancer foundation was also thanked for their contribution to public education through the CSLSA.
2. Mr. Beuerlein reminded the Board of Directors that we are still recruiting for the Social Media Committee, Grants and Professional Standards. He is hoping that those positions can be filled as soon as possible.
B. Vice President/Bylaws - Mr. Humphreys - ATTACHMENT 2
C. Secretary - Mr. Bond - NO REPORT
D. Treasurer - Mr. Williams - ATTACHMENT 3
E. Past President/Advisor - Mr. R. McGowan - NO REPORT
F. 1st Executive Delegate - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 4
G. 2nd Executive Delegate - Mr. Avila - ATTACHMENT 5
H. 3rd Executive Delegate - Mr. Butki - NO REPORT
I. 4th Executive Delegate - Mr. Leeper - ATTACHMENT 6
IV. Committee Activity Reports
A. Certification - Mr. Lombardi - ATTACHMENT 7
B. Exchanges - Read by Mr. Richardson - ATTACHMENT 8
C. Grants - Vacant - NO REPORT
D. Junior Lifeguards - Mr. Leeper - ATTACHMENT 9
E. Legislation - Mr. Sandler - ATTACHMENT 10
F. Lifesaving Sport and Fitness - Mr. Butki - ATTACHMENT 11
G. Membership - Mrs. Graham - ATTACHMENT 12
H. Newsletter - Mr. Godino - ATTACHMENT 13
I. Original Founders - Mr. R. McGowan - NO REPORT
J. Professional Standards - Mr. Gipti - NO REPORT
K. Public Education - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 14
L. Public Relations - Mr. Bond - NO REPORT
M. Special Awards/Presentations -Mr. Pepito - ATTACHMENT 15
N. Sponsorship - Mr. Avila - ATTACHMENT 5
O. Statistics - Mr. Burton - ATTACHMENT 16
P. Training & Operations - Mr. Scott - ATTACHMENT 17
R. Website - Mr. Moore - ATTACHMENT 18
V. Sponsor Presentations
1. Meeting sponsors provided presentations: Bomber Eyewear, John Wayne Cancer Foundation, Makai Rescue Boards, Von Zipper, Junior Lifeguard Certificate Frames and Project Wipeout.
VI. Special Awards and Presentations
1. President Beuerlein presented an award to Mr. Ragsdale on behalf of the CSLSA for his commitment to lifesaving throughout his career. Mr. Ragsdale has recently retired from Los Angeles County Lake Lifeguards.
2. Mr. Gifford Price was given a heroic act award for his rescue of a 14 year old victim at Huntington State Beach on October 6th, 2014. Mr. Price is a Junior Lifeguard for the City of Huntington Beach. Mr. Price had his parents and twin sister in attendance.
3. President Beuerlein provided a brief history of the Ben Carlson's Medal of Valor and the creation of his foundation. The CSLSA will be partnering with the Ben Carlson Foundation to educate the public on open water safety.
4. Scott Underhill was bodysurfing the same day of the Ben Carlson tragedy. He was crushed by a large wave and suffered significant injuries. Scott spend many weeks in Hoag hospital and it was unknown if he would recover or even survive. After months of rehabilitation, Scott was able to requalify for the State Beach Lifeguards, and provide a presentation to the CSLSA Board of Directors about his life changing injury.
Special Awards and Presentations (continued)
5. Linda Reuter provided a presentation of two videos created by Project Wipeout. These public education modules promote open water safety in an attempt to reduce spinal injuries. Linda stated that Project Wipeout has recently completed over 15 beach safety video segments.
VII. Committee Workshops/Working Groups
VIII. Committee Action Reports from Workshops
A. Junior Lifeguards - Mr. Leeper - ATTACHMENT 19
B. Lifesaving Sport and Fitness- Mr. Butki - ATTACHMENT 20
C. Membership - Mrs. Graham - ATTACHMENT 21
D. Public Education - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 22
E. Public Relations - Mr. Bond - ATTACHMENT 23
F. Special Awards - Mr. Pepito - ATTACHMENT 24
IX. Old Business
A. Dues Breakdown - Mrs. Graham - NO REPORT
B. OC Chiefs Association - Mr. Humphreys - NO REPORT
C. Alcohol Sponsorship - Vacant - NO REPORT
D. USOC - Mr. Avila - NO REPORT
E. Social Media - Mr. Bond - ATTACHMENT 23
X. New Business
A. Medal of Valor
1. The President has asked that local Fire, Police, Marine Safety Chiefs and USLA Chapter Presidents submit letters in support of California Assembly Bill 489 to add Ocean Lifeguard to the list of potential recipients for the California Medal of Valor, our state's highest honor for public safety employees. This bill would also add a professional Lifeguard representative to the selection committee. A template for this letter will be provided online at www.CSLSA.org.
B. CSLSA Financial Institution
1. Mr. Beuerlein suggested that we table this discussion until Spring 2016. Mr. Williams would like to see how a similar transition goes with the USLA.
C. One Day Meeting
1. Most members of the board said that the one-day meeting was beneficial. The President recommended that we retain the flexibility to have a one or two day meeting depending on the agenda and location.
XI. Future Meetings
A. CSLSA Meetings Dates & Locations
1. Fall 2015
a. Location: Los Angeles County
b. Date: October 8, 2016
2. Spring 2016
a. Location: Coronado
b. Dates: April 14, 2016
B. USLA Meeting Dates & Location
1. Spring 2015
a. Location: Gulf Coast Region - South Padre Island, TX
b. Dates: April 23-25, 2015
2. Fall 2016
a. Location: Pacific Island - Kona, HI
b. Dates: November 12-14, 2015
XII. Privilege of the Chair
A. President's closing comments
1. The President thanked the sponsors and the Newport Beach Ocean Lifeguard Association (Gary Conwell, Skeeter Leeper and Rob Williams) for hosting the event. He was excited to add to the membership numbers and welcomed new chapters into the CSLSA. Mr. Beuerlein thanked the new committee chairs and Mr. Godino for his effort with the Cal Surf News. CSLSA's collaborations with Project Wipeout, the John Wayne Cancer Foundation, the Ben Carlson Foundation and the California Marine Safety Chief's Association have proven to be beneficial in making a stronger lifeguard community.
XIII. AdjournmentMOTION: Motion to adjourn by Mr. Ragsdale.
SECOND: Mr. Pepito
ACTION: MPU; meeting adjourned at 4:36 p.m.