|BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Coronado Boathouse, Coronado, CA
April 7 & 8, 2016
(Acrobat) CLICK HERE
|Thursday, April 7, 2016
I. Meeting called to order by Mr. Beuerlein at 9:05 A.M.
A. Pledge of Allegiance - Mr. Humphreys
B. Welcome and Introductions - Mr. Beuerlein
C. Roll Call of Delegates - Mr. Bond
II. Approval of Board of Director's Meeting Minutes - Redondo Beach, October 8th, 2016.MOTION: Moved by Mr. Ragsdale to approve the Minutes as submitted.
SECOND: Mr. Richardson
III. Officer's Reports
A. President - Mr. Beuerlein - ATTACHMENT 1
1. Mr. Beuerlein thanked the Coronado Lifeguards for hosting their first Board of Directors Meeting. He announced that there is an article on Alex Peabody, CSLSA's newest Life Member, posted on the CSLSA home page. The President updated the Board of Directors on current events and activity since the last meeting. He congratulated and introduced the newest committee co-chairs.
B. Vice President/Bylaws - Mr. Humphreys - ATTACHMENT 2
C. Secretary   - Mr. Bond - NO REPORT
D. Treasurer - Mr. Williams - ATTACHMENT 3
E. Past President/Advisor - Mr. R. McGowan - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. McGowan and the Heritage Committee have been working with the USLA to promote better communication between the chapters and the agencies. He looks forward to continuing this work at the Spring USLA meeting is Gettysburg.
F. 1st Executive Delegate - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 4
G. 2nd Executive Delegate - Mr. Avila - ATTACHMENT 5
H. 3rd Executive Delegate - Mr. Butki - NOT RECEIVED 6
I. 4th Executive Delegate - Mr. Graham - NOT RECEIVED 7
1. Mr. Graham thanked Mr. Leeper for his term of service.
IV. Committee Activity Reports
A. Bylaws - Mr. Humphreys - NO REPORT
B. Certification - Mr. Lombardi - ATTACHMENT 8
C. Exchanges - Mr. Leach - NOT RECEIVED 9
D. Grants - Mr. Henderson - NO REPORT
E. Junior Lifeguards - Mr. Graham - ATTACHMENT 10
F. Legislation - Mr. Sandler - ATTACHMENT 11
G. Lifesaving Sport and Fitness- Mr. Butki - ATTACHMENT 12
H. Membership - Mrs. Graham - NOT RECEIVED 13
I. Newsletter - Mr. Godino - ATTACHMENT 14
J. Original Founders - Mr. R. McGowan - NO REPORT
K. Professional Standards - Mr. Gipti - NOT RECEIVED 15
L. Public Education - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 16
M. Public Relations - Mr. Bond - VERBAL REPORT
N. Special Awards/Presentations -Mr. Richardson - ATTACHMENT 17
O. Sponsorship - Mr. Avila - NO REPORT
P. Statistics - Mr. Burton - NOT RECEIVED 18
Q. Training & Operations - Mr. Scott & Mr. Sonne - ATTACHMENT 19
R. Ways & Means - Mr. Williams - NO REPORT
S. Website - Mr. Moore - ATTACHMENT 20
V. Special Presentations
1. Mr. Ed Harris provided an overview of San Diego's presumptive health coverage plan. He asked the lifeguards at the Board of Directors meeting to help move forward with presumptive coverage within their bargaining units. Mr. Harris wants to help give the lifeguards a stronger voice at the state and national level.
VI. Sponsor Presentations
1. Meeting sponsors provided presentations: Maki Surf and Rescue, Isle Surf and Paddle, Bomber Eyewear, LRAD Corp, Original Waterman, Project Wipeout, Xcel Wetsuits and John Wayne Cancer Foundation
VII. Special Awards and Presentations
1. Mr. Beuerlein presented a Meritorious Act awards to Wyatt Colloty and Andrew Hoff. Butch Batton and Ben Siegel were honored for Heroic Acts.
Meeting reconvened on Friday, April 8th at 9:11AM.
VIII. Committee Action Reports from Workshops
A. Junior Lifeguards - Mr. Egan - NOT RECEIVED 21
Two motions were passed in the Junior Lifeguard committee and presented to the Board of Directors for vote.
B. Lifesaving Sport and Fitness- Mr. Butki - NOT RECEIVED 22
C. Membership - Mrs. Graham - NOT RECEIVED 23
D. Professional Standards - Mr. Gipti - NOT RECEIVED 24
E. Public Education - Mr. Silvestri - NOT RECEIVED 25
F. Public Relations - Mr. Bond - NOT RECEIVED 26
G. Special Awards - Mr. McGowan - NOT RECEIVED 27
H. Sponsorship - Mr. Avila - NOT RECEIVED 28
I. Statistics - Mr. Burton - NOT RECEIVED 29
J. Training & Operations - Mr. Sonne - NOT RECEIVED 30
IX. Old Business
A. CA Marine Safety Chief Assoc. - Mr. Williams - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Williams wants to expand the group to any other interested agencies. He welcomes any Chief or agency administrator to the next meeting. This will help develop policies at a state level that can be used as guidelines tailored for each department.
B. California Medal of Valor - Mr. Williams - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Williams is currently on the board for the California Medal of Valor and will notify the CSLSA of any changes to the current requirements.
C. CSLSA Financial Institution - Mr. Williams - NO REPORT
X. New Business
A. Sponsorship RFP -  Mr. Williams - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Humphreys provided an overview of his draft request for proposal. The request for proposal outlines conditions for potential sponsors. Mrs. Graham suggested that we implement the RFP and allow the Executive Board to steer the funds. She also suggested that we create a fundraising committee. Mr. Beuerlein added that the RFP is a work in progress and can be modified as necessary to meet the needs of CSLSA. Mr. Humphreys would like to set a target date of September 1st, 2016. The Executive Board is requesting that all potential sponsor contacts be sent to Mr. Humphreys.
B. USLA Strategic Plan - Mr. Beuerlein - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Beuerlein reviewed the eight goals of the United States Lifesaving Association. He is positive that the goals will help improve both the CSLSA and USLA.
C. USLA Textbook Revision - Mr. Humphreys - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Humphreys is currently working on a committee to revise the USLA textbook. The committee is in the editing phase which should be completed at the Spring USLA meeting in Gettysburg, PA. Mr. Humphreys is requesting photos to help improve the manual. He is suggesting that the President from each region have a chance to review the textbook revisions prior to publication.
D. USLA Delegate Count - Mr. Humphreys - VERBAL REPORT
1. The CSLSA has proposed that the USLA Delegate Count be updated to more accurately represent each region's current USLA membership total. This idea was proposed in Hawaii and will be on the agenda for the Board of Directors to vote on at the Spring USLA meeting in Gettysburg.
E. JG Account Appropriations and Comp. Fees - Mr. Beuerlein - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Beuerlein reviewed the JG account appropriations discussion from the last CSLSA Executive Board meeting. There were no questions from the Board of Directors. The competition fees were discussed in the Junior Lifeguard Committee report provided by Mr. Egan.
F. CSLSA Life Membership Policy - Mr. Beuerlein - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Beuerlein suggested a change in the wording of the CSLSA Lifetime Membership Policy. He provided copies of the current policy and suggested that B.6. be modified to read "A nominee may receive no more than one vote in opposition to confirm Life Membership. Once the vote has been counted, the chairperson shall announce the results to the committee and inform the President of same, but shall not discuss the number of votes cast in favor or opposition and ballots shall be destroyed". Mr. Beuerlein also noted that the CSLSA Life Membership application should be modified so that the "Procedure" language is the same as the "Policy" language.MOTION: Moved by Mr. Ragsdale to amend the CSLSA Life Member Policy as suggested by Mr. Beuerlein.
SECOND: Mr. Hughes
XI. Future Meetings
A. CSLSA Meetings Dates & Locations
1. Fall 2016
a. Location: Santa Cruz
b. Date: October 13th and 14th, 2016
2. Spring 2017
a. Location: TBD
b. Date: April 6th and 7th, 2017
B. USLA Meeting Dates & Location
1. Spring 2016
a. Location: Gettysburg Pennsylvania
b. Dates: April 28th - 30th 2016
2. Fall 2016
a. Location: Northwest Region (TBD)
b. Date: November 3rd- 5th, 2016
XII. Privilege of the Chair
A. President's closing comments
1. The President thanked the sponsors, Captain Sean Carey and the Coronado Lifesaving Association for hosting the event. Mr. Beuerlein commended Mr. Graham for his work as the newest Executive Board member. He also cited the positive work by all the new committee chairs, with special recognition to Mr. Egan and Mr. Graham for addressing the current funding challenges in the Junior Lifeguard Committee.
XIII. Adjournment -- Mr. McGowan read the following dedication from Bob Moore to Joe Reinisch:
I remember Joe as being totally enthused. Joe loved lifesaving. He always claimed his Newfoundland dogs (which he bred for sale) were also lifesavers.
MOTION: Motion to adjourn by Mr. Lombardi in memory of "Big Joe" Reinisch.
SECOND: Mr. Butki
ACTION: MPU; meeting adjourned at 11:15 a.m.