BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Port of Hueneme Oxnard Harbor District
333 Pomona Street, Port Hueneme CA
April 6th & 7th, 2017
(Acrobat) CLICK HERE
|Thursday, April 6, 2017
I. Meeting called to order by Mr. Beuerlein at 9:10 a.m.
A. Pledge of Allegiance - Mr. Humphreys
B. Welcome and Introductions - Mr. Beuerlein
C. Roll Call of Delegates - Mr. Bond
II. Approval of Board of Director's Meeting Minutes - Santa Cruz, October 13th and 14th, 2016.MOTION: Moved by Mr. Ragsdale to approve the Minutes as submitted.
SECOND: Mr. Richardson
III. Officer's Reports
A. President - Mr. Beuerlein - ATTACHMENT 1
1. Mr. Beuerlein thanked the Port Hueneme Lifeguard Association for hosting the meeting. He asked for a moment of silence in honor of Richard Godino who had recently passed away. Mr. Godino's contributions to lifesaving will be remembered by all members of the California Surf Lifesaving Association.
B. Vice President - Mr. McGowan for Mr. Humphreys - ATTACHMENT 2
C. Secretary   - Mr. Bond - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Bond provided an update on the Personal Rescue Watercraft curriculum to the Board of Directors. The first draft of the document will be presented to the USLA Board of Directors in Cape Cod.
D. Treasurer - Mr. Williams - ATTACHMENT 3
E. Past President/Advisor - Mr. R. McGowan - NO REPORT
F. 1st Executive Delegate - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 4
G. 2nd Executive Delegate - Mr. Avila - ATTACHMENT 5
H. 3rd Executive Delegate - Mr. Butki - NO REPORT
I. 4th Executive Delegate - Mr. Graham - ATTACHMENT 6
IV. Committee Activity Reports
A. Bylaws - Mr. Moore for Mr. Humphreys - ATTACHMENT 7
B. Certification - Mr. Lombardi - ATTACHMENT 8
C. Exchanges - Mr. Richardson for Mr. Leach - ATTACHMENT 9
D. Grants - Mr. Busatto - NO REPORT
E. Junior Lifeguards - Mr. Graham - ATTACHMENT 6
F. Legislation - Mr. McGowan for Mr. Sandler - ATTACHMENT 10
G. Lifesaving Sport and Fitness- Mr. Butki/Mr. Prosser - ATTACHMENT 11
H. Membership - Mrs. Graham - ATTACHMENT 12
I. Newsletter - Mr. Hughes - ATTACHMENT 13
J. Original Founders - Mr. R. McGowan - NO REPORT
K. Professional Standards - Mr. Gipti - ATTACHMENT 14
L. Public Education - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 15
M. Public Relations - Mr. Bond - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Bond welcomed any new members to attend the sub-committee in the afternoon. He expressed the growing importance of social media to the CSLSA.
N. Special Awards/Presentations -Mr. Richardson - ATTACHMENT 16
O. Sponsorship - Mr. Avila - NO REPORT
P. Statistics - Mr. Burton - ATTACHMENT 17
Q. Training & Operations - Mr. Scott - ATTACHMENT 18
R. Ways & Means - Mr. Williams - NO REPORT
S. Website - Mr. Moore - ATTACHMENT 19
1. Mr. Moore thanked webmaster Pat Francis for her continued dedication to the CSLSA. She has completed a significant amount of research to address the suggested changes from the Public Relations/Social Media Committee.
V. Sponsor Presentations
1. Meeting sponsors provided presentations: Matuse, Original Waterman, Catch Surf, Bomber Eyewear, and Wet Seat.
VI. New Zealand Exchange
1. Mr. Michael Prichard and Mr. Duncan Wilson provided a power point presentation about their training in New Zealand. They thanked the California Surf Lifesaving Association for their support.
VII. Lifeguard Injury Survey
1. Renee Jackson provided a summary and a power point presentation of her lifeguard injury survey. Ms. Jackson has been collecting statistics from USLA members since last October. She found significant correlation between subject ages, physical training activity and type of injury. Ms. Jackson thanked the Board of Directors for helping her with the survey.
VIII. Special Awards and Presentations
1. Mr. Beuerlein presented two CSLSA Medals of Valor to Dukes restaurant for their financial support. Additionally, the President thanked the John Wayne Cancer Foundation for their $5,000 donation at the previous Board of Directors meeting.
2. Mr. Beuerlein announced the United States Lifesaving Association Lifetime Member award for Alex Peabody. Mike Silvestri, a friend and former colleague, accepted the award on behalf of Mr. Peabody's family.
3. Mr. McGowan presented Mr. Beuerlein with the USLA Lifetime Member award. Mr. Beuerlein was incredibly grateful and honored for the recognition.
Meeting reconvened on Friday, April 7th at 9:16 AM.
IX. Committee Action Reports from Workshops
A. Bylaws - Mr. Moore for Mr. Humphreys - ATTACHMENT 20
B. Exchanges - Mr. Leach - NO REPORT
C. Grants - Mr. Bussato - NO REPORT
D. Junior Lifeguards - Mr. Egan - ATTACHMENT 21
E. Lifesaving Sport & Fitness - Mr. Butki - ATTACHMENT 22
F. Membership - Mrs. Graham - ATTACHMENT 23
G. Newsletter - Mr. Hughes - NO REPORT
H. Professional Standards - Mr. Gipti - ATTACHMENT 24
I. Public Education - Mr. Silvestri - ATTACHMENT 25
J. Public Relations - Mr. Bond - VERBAL REPORT
1. The Public Relations Committee discussed making improvements to the current CSLSA website. Members were tasked with researching two options (new vendors) to help improve the aesthetics and mobile functionality. Square Space and Studio 11 were the best examples of potential changes. Square Space was used as a platform to design the Ben Carlson Foundation website. Studio 11 is a contracted company who created the website for the Newport Beach Junior Lifeguards. A rough estimated cost was approximately $3000 for the rebuild. Both options allow enhanced user permissions for committee chairs to upload content. Committee members will be obtaining official quotes and presenting options to the Board of Directors.
K. Special Awards - Mr. Richardson - ATTACHMENT 26
L. Sponsorship - Mr. Avila - ATTACHMENT 27
M. Statistics - Mr. Burton - NO REPORT
N. Training & Operations - Mr. Burton for Mr. Scott - ATTACHMENT 28
1. Mr. Beuerlein requested that the most updated training information and opportunities be posted on the CSLSA website.
O. Ways and Means - Mr. Williams - NO REPORT
X. Old Business
A. Sponsorship RFP - Mr. Humphreys - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Humphreys, Mr. Avila and Mr. Beuerlein have tabled the request for proposal based on the direction from CSLSA's new marketing advisor (Barbara Caruso).
B. USLA Textbook Revision - Mr. Humphreys - NO REPORT
C. Cal Marine Safety Chiefs Assoc. - Mr. Williams - NO REPORT
D. CSLSA JG Competition Fee Server - Mr. Egan - NO REPORT
E. CSLSA Standards, Certification and Training - Mr. Beuerlein - VERBAL REPORT
1. Mr. Beuerlein stated the importance of creating standards for certification and training. He commended the work of the Personal Rescue Watercraft working group.
F. Junior Lifeguard Membership Dues Increase
1. The Board of Directors discussed the ongoing topic of a Junior Lifeguard membership dues increase. The CSLSA Board of Directors are officially opposed to any increase to membership dues. The Board does support an increase for Junior Lifeguard registration fees at Nationals.
XI. New Business
A. Medal of Valor
1. Mr. Williams and Mr. Richardson are interested in creating a plaque for chapters who have members receive the new CSLSA Medal of Valor. Mr. Richardson will create a design for approval from the Executive Board.
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Richardson that the amended Policies and Procedures be effective immediately.
SECOND: Mr. Ragsdale
MOTION: Moved by Mr. Williams to restrict the $2500 donation from the Ben Carlson Foundation to the Public Education account.
SECOND: Mr. Gipti
B. Chapter Applications
C. USLA BOD Meeting Structure
1. Mr. Williams stated that there could be a change to the structure of the USLA BOD Meetings. There has been a proposal to make it an annual four day BOD Meeting & Educational Conference, followed by a two day BOD meeting. A survey has been e-mailed to board members for their opinion. More information will be provided at the Fall 2017 USLA BOD meeting.
2. Mr. Moore expressed the importance of the work accomplished in committee meetings. He is proud of how the CSLSA Executive Board has represented the region at a national level.
XII. Future Meetings
A. USLA Meeting Dates & Locations
1. Spring 2017
a. Location: Brewster, Massachusetts
b. Dates: April 27th - 29th, 2017
2. Fall 2017
a. Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
b. Date: October 20th and 21st, 2017
B. CSLSA Meeting Dates & Locations
1. Fall 2017
a. Location: Los Angeles City (Trish Delgado - Chief of LA City).
b. Date: October 12th and 13th, 2017
2. Spring 2018
a. Location: LA County and Newport Beach have expressed interest in hosting.
b. Date: April 12th and 13th, 2018
XIII. Privilege of the Chair
A. President's closing comments
1. The President thanked the sponsors, and the Port Hueneme Lifeguards Association for hosting the event. Mr. Beuerlein commended Mr. Moore and Mr. Richardson on their work on the updated bylaws and policies and procedures. The President reminded the Board of Directors that elections will be held at the Fall 2017 CSLSA Meeting. He challenged everyone to become more involved in leadership roles as Competition Officials, Certification Officers, Committee Chairs, Executive Board, etc.
XIV. AdjournmentMOTION: Mr. Moore moved to adjourn the meeting in memory of Richard Godino.
SECOND: Mr. Richardson
ACTION: MPU; meeting adjourned at 11:51 a.m.