BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Dockweiler Youth Center
12505 Vista Del Mar, Playa del Rey, CA 90293
Aprl 12th & 13th, 2018
 
PRINTED VERSION
(Acrobat) CLICK HERE
  Thursday, April 12, 2018

 

I.          Meeting called to order by Mr. Humphreys at 9:06 a.m.

          A.          Pledge of Allegiance          -          Mr. Avila

            B.          Welcome and Introductions     -     Mr. Humphreys

            C.          Roll Call of Delegates          -         Mr. Graham



Chapter No. of
Members
Possible No.
of Delegates
Delegates
Present
Proxies Total
Votes
California State 280 8 8 0 8
Capitola 3 2 0 0 0
Carpenteria 2 2 2 0 2
Coronado 6 2 1 1 2
Del Mar 6 2 0 0 0
Encinitas 8 2 0 0 0
Huntington Beach 142 5 5 0 5
Imperial Beach 11 2 2 0 2
Laguna Beach 96 4 1 0 1
Lake Mission Viejo 5 2 0 0 0
Long Beach 70 4 3 1 4
Los Angeles City 14 2 0 0 0
Los Angeles County Beaches 119 5 5 0 5
Los Angeles County Lakes 31 3 3 0 3
Newport Beach 44 3 1 1 2
OC LGs-C.O.L.A. 24 3 0 0 0
Oceanside 9 2 2 0 2
Pendleton Coast 8 2 2 0 2
Pismo Beach 0 0 0 0 0
Port Hueneme 2 2 2 0 2
San Clemente 51 4 3 1 4
San Diego 81 4 0 0 0
San Luis Obispo Co. 1 0 0 0 0
Santa Barbara City 19 3 1 1 2
Santa Barbara County (Campus Pt) 5 2 0 0 0
Santa Cruz 45 3 0 0 0
Santa Monica Harbor Patrol 5 2 0 0 0
Seal Beach 52 4 0 0 0
Solana Beach 3 2 0 0 0
Tucson, AZ 2 2 0 0 0
Ventura County 14 2 0 0 0
Ventura County Harbor Patrol 12 2 0 0 0
Independent/Unaffiliated 9 2 0 0 0
TOTAL 1181 89 41 5 46


II.       Approval of Board of Directors' Meeting Minutes - Los Angeles City, October 12th and 13th, 2017.

MOTION:             Mr. Moore to approve the minutes as submitted.
SECOND:             Mr. Ragsdale
DISCUSSION:     None
ACTION:              MPU

III.       Officer's Reports

            A.         President                      -        Mr. Humphreys          -        ATTACHMENT          1

1.                  Mr. Humphreys outlined his report and recognized the board members who had recently stepped down. He welcomed the new members and previewed the upcoming USLA meeting. He spoke about the work he does with The California Marine Safety Chiefs Association, and asked for nominations for a liaison from CSLSA to the Chiefs Association. He asked for those interested in serving as committee chairs to contact him and thanked the current chairs. He asked the committee to keep the mission in mind.

            B.         Vice President           -           Mr. Avila       -                     ATTACHMENT           2

1.                  Mr. Avila outlined his report, and mentioned that he thinks that Executive Board meetings are very important. He talked about his work reviewing contracts with USLA and the upcoming spring meeting. He stressed that the contracts should keep the mission of the association in mind. He spoke about the World Conference on Drowning Prevention, International Surf Rescue Challenge, and running local and East Coast youth High Performance Squad camps in preparation of the World Championships this year in Australia. Mr. Avila also spoke about the upcoming 2018 Regional Lifeguard Championships.

            C.         Secretary                     -         Mr. Graham                   -    NO REPORT

            D.         Treasurer                     -         Mr. Allen           -                ATTACHMENT            3

1.                  Mr. Allen outlined his report, thanked Mr. Williams, and gave the Ways and Means committee report.

            E.         Past President/Advisor   -       Mr. Beuerlein           -           ATTACHMENT           4

1.                  Mr. Beuerlein outlined his report and welcomed the new Executive Board members. He spoke about his role as Past President/Advisor, dealings with Scott Hubbell Productions, outlined the upcoming USLA meeting, and invited all to the meeting. He thanked Bill Humphreys for securing the sponsors for the USLA meeting and a number of actors in Long Beach, including Chief Medina and the Long Beach Lifeguard Association. He mentioned the USLA politics in the e-Votes. He handed the gavel to Mr. Humphreys.

            F.         1st Executive Delegate    -      Mr. Silvestri          -              ATTACHMENT           5

1.                  Mr. Silvestri outlined his report and asked for silent auction items for the USLA meeting. He mentioned that the Ben Carlson Foundation is offering scholarships. He spoke about the Carlsbad situation. He mentioned the pro-deal with Hydroflask and gave a Project Wipeout update. He is looking for more video and high quality photos. There is an attempt to live stream the event and replicate the conference in places like Ventura, Los Angeles, and San Diego. He asked for representatives of the agency to be the contact for Public Education committee business.

            G.         2nd Executive Delegate   -    Mr. Butki                -            ATTACHMENT             6

1.                  Mr. Butki outlined his report, went into the World Conference on Drowning Prevention and thanked Will Koon and Renee Jackson for their contributions. He then talked about the Wieland Shield exchange, which Ryan Gates, Joji Abasolo, and Renee Jackson spoke about their experience on the trip.

            H.         3rd Executive Delegate   -     Mr. Etnyre               -           ATTACHMENT             7

1.                  Mr. Etnyre outlined his report, mentioned that he is getting his bearings straight on being on the Executive Board, spoke about his involvement with Project Wipeout and the new website.

            I.          4th Executive Delegate    -    Mr. Hughes           -               ATTACHMENT            8

1.                  Mr. Hughes outlined his report and mentioned that he has now produced three editions. He asked for help in securing potential sponsors and vendors.

IV.       Committee Activity Reports

            A.         Bylaws/Policies & Procedure   -   Mr. Graham      -          VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Graham did not submit a written report but asked the president to set a time for a committee meeting.

            B.         Certification                   -     Mr. Lombardi          -           NO REPORT          

            C.         Exchanges                 -     Mr. Fiamengo/Ms. Schwene  -  ATTACHMENT              9

1.                  Ms. Schwene outlined their report and introduced the exchange delegates.

            D.         Grants                           -     Mr. Busatto/Mr. Etnyre   -    ATTACHMENT              10

1.                  Mr. Etnyre outlined his report previously when he spoke as the delegate.

            E.         Junior Lifeguards           -      Mr. Graham/Mr. Egan    -    VERBAL REPORT

1.                  Mr. Egan outlined their report and went into detail about the work being done on the regionals, awards, and grants. He thanked Bob Moore, Bill Richardson, and Rob McGowan for their contributions to the grants process.

            F.         Legislation                     -      Mr.Sandler            -            ATTACHMENT               11          

            G.        Lifesaving Sport & Fitness-   Mr. Butki/Mr. Prosser  -     ATTACHMENT                12

1.                  Mr. Butki talked about the upcoming summer events, rule changes at nationals, and the trailer.

            H.        Membership           -      Mrs. Graham/Mrs. Schwene  -   ATTACHMENT                13

1.                  Mrs. Graham outlined their report, and spoke about the membership kits at the national and regional levels.

            I.         Newsletter                     -      Mr. Hughes            -           VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Hughes referred to his comments given during his presentation of the delegate report.

            J.         Original Founders         -       Mr. R. McGowan   -           NO REPORT          

            K.        Professional Standards    -    Mr. Gipti                -            NO REPORT          

            L.         Public Education          -       Mr. Silvestri          -             ATTACHMENT                14

1.                  Mr. Silvestri outlined his activities as chair of this committee when he spoke for the delegate report.

            M.        Public Information Officer -  Mr. Sandler            -           VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Sandler mentioned that he has a twitter account, #cslsapio, and spoke about the license plate program.

            N.        Public Relations           -       Mr. Bond                   -       ATTACHMENT                 15

1.                  Mr. Bond outlined his report and suggested that one person be selected to oversee the new website, but mentioned that all committee members will theoretically be able to input content.

            O.        Social Media             -        VACANT

            P.        Special Awards/Presentations -Mr. Richardson       -      ATTACHMENT                  16

1.                  Mr. Richardson outlined his report and mentioned that we have more awards to distribute today than ever before.

            Q.        Statistics                    -        Mr. Burton                -       ATTACHMENT                   17

1.                  Mr. Burton outlined his report and thanked Mr. Lombardi. He mentioned the new statistics program that USLA will be transitioning. Mr. Pringle was invited to the podium and spoke about the statistics program.

            R.        Training & Operations   -    Mr. Scott                -          NO REPORT

            S.        Ways & Means             -    Mr. Allen                -          NO REPORT

            T.        Website                         -   Mr. Moore               -         ATTACHMENT                   18

1.                  Mr. Moore outlined his report and requested that members update him with any changes that need to be made to the site.

V.       Award Presentations

VI.     Committee Workshops (as directed)

       Meeting to be recessed at approximately 5:00 PM and reconvened on Friday, April 13, 2018, at 0900.

Meeting reconvened on Friday, April 13th

VII.    Committee Action Reports from Workshops

            A.         Bylaws/Policies & Procedure  - Mr. Graham       -       VERBAL REPORT

MOTION:             Mr. Himes to accept the policy "Junior Lifeguard Grants and Awards Program."
SECOND:             Mr. Ragsdale
DISCUSSION:     None
ACTION:              MPU

            B.         Certification                  -           Mr. Lombardi       -     NO REPORT

            C.         Exchanges    -          Mr. Fiamengo/Ms. Schwene   -    NO REPORT

            D.         Grants                 -       Mr. Bussato/Mr. Etnyre      -    VERBAL REPORT           

1.                  Mr. Etnyre spoke about their request for other committees to submit grant ideas to the grants committee.

            E.         Junior Lifeguards       -      Mr. Egan/Mr. Graham     -    ATTACHMENT                19

1.                  Mr. Graham spoke about the committee meeting and outlined the suggestions made for changes to the Junior Lifeguard Regionals.

            F.         Legislation                    -            Mr. Sandler       -         NO REPORT           

           G.         Lifesaving Sport & Fitness  - Mr. Prosser/Mr. Butki   -   VERBAL REPORT           

1.                  Mr. Prosser gave the report and made suggestions. He previewed the nationals, worlds, and other competition events. National team staff selection criteria was also discussed. He said that the trailer will be purchased soon. He spoke about flags and banners for nationals and the athletes' commission. In the committee, a new event order for regionals was discussed. Mr. Butki proposed a three-person board relay for open men and open women, a mixed surfboat race, and a lifesaving sport oriented meeting at nationals.

           H.         Membership         -      Mrs. Graham/Ms. Schwene   -    VERBAL REPORT           

1.                  The license plate topic was discussed and members favored a lifeguard tower image. Membership items this year will include socks, colored logo stickers, and a Hydroflask. USLA membership item is neck gator.

            I.         Newsletter                       -          Mr. Hughes          -       NO REPORT          

            J.         Original Founders           -           Mr. McGowan       -     NO REPORT          

           K.        Professional Standards    -           Mr. Gipti                -     NO REPORT          

           L.         Public Education             -           Mr. Silvestri          -      VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Silvestri reported on Project Wipeout and mentioned that the printed materials are still available. He said that rip current brochures are favored by committee members and there is funding left. He will get pricing for coloring books. There was an idea put forth to do a CSLSA calendar. Interactive app, PSAs, and the Huntington Beach SALT program were discussed. He spoke about not being able to do too much on $2500 per year and HOAG Hospital funding will help the association. The educational program from Project Wipeout will be available to copy and use for those outside of Orange County. He and Lauren from John Wayne Cancer Foundation will work together to complete and share a PSA.

           M.        Public Information Officer        -   Mr. Sandler        -        VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Sandler apologized for error on the website. Mr. Beuerlien asked for a press release for the USLA meeting.

           N.        Public Relations                -          Mr. Prosser         -       ATTACHMENT               20

1.                  Mr. Prosser talked about his photo website. He read from Mr. Bond's submitted report.

           O.        Social Media                   -           Mr. Prosser        -        VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Prosser discussed the feedback from the committee and outlined the written report. Mr. Moore spoke about the transition to the new site and referred to the letter he received from the current website host.

           P.        Special Awards & Presentations - Mr. Richardson     -      VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Richardson reviewed the nominations for special awards. One was approved, one was denied. The Committee approved a policy change and Daniel Black was approved as the first Military/Non-Lifeguard Medal Of Valor awardee.

           Q.        Statistics                          -           Mr. Burton             -     NO REPORT          

           R.        Training & Operations      -           Mr. Scott               -     VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  He spoke about LA County standardizing training information.

           S.        Ways and Means              -          Mr. Williams          -      VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Allen spoke about the 2018 budget, restricted funds accounts, exchange fund and expenditures, and taxes.

MOTION:  Mrs. Graham to approve the reimbursement of the secretary for a voice recorder.
SECOND:             Mr. Sandler
DISCUSSION:  None
ACTION:               MPU

           T.        Website                           -           Mr. Moore              -     VERBAL REPORT          

1.                  Mr. Moore spoke about errors on website submissions and that additional oversight must be considered. His recommendations to the new Website Committee Chair and possibly others, when the conversion takes place from the current website to the 'new website', must scrutinize and oversee all submissions. As the current Committee Chair along with the Webmaster, they make many corrections on submissions, i.e. grammar, formatting, content, etc. before posting. If the content is not according to the goals and objectives of the association, then the President and/or the Executive Board is advised and makes the final decision as to posting or not. Under the new website protocols, it is imperative that individual posting is scrutinized prior to going 'live' or the new website could look unprofessional and/or out of compliance to our mission and our 501(c)3 status.

VIII.    Old Business

           A.         Step and Repeat Banner

1.                  Mr. Humphreys thanked Mr. Richardson for the item.

           B.          California Marine Safety Chief's Association

1.                  Kevin Snow from Laguna Beach is now the President. The association likes the RWC USLA training module and anticipating the beach driving course.

           C.          CSLSA Sponsorship

1.                  Mr. Beuerlein reported that Sean Carey asked about a sponsorship package. Mr. Carey spoke about the topic. Quicksilver needs a packet. Leslie Schwene, Gus Avila, Sean Carey, and Mike Beuerlein were asked to help in this project.

IX.       New Business

           A.          Gift Card

1.                  Mr. Richardson was awarded a gift card for his extraordinary efforts on the multiple awards and presentations.

           B.          Transition to new website

1.                  May 1 deadline, committee chairs submit directly after that time.

           C.          Update on CSLSA hosting USLA BOD meeting in April.

1.                  Mr. Beuerlein updated the Board about the progress of the planning, invited the Board of Directors to attend the meeting, and outlined the duties of the CSLSA Executive Board and other volunteers. He explained the dress code and Mr. Williams recommended that the USLA make a permanent exception to the dress code rule regarding the afternoon of the Educational Conference if in the field.

X.       Future Meetings

MOTION:             Mr. Moore to amend the timeline for hosting.
SECOND:             Mr. Ragsdale
DISCUSSION:     None
ACTION:              MPU

            A.         CSLSA Meeting Dates & Locations

1.                  Fall 2018

                       a.         Location: TBD (Huntington Beach and Cal State San Clemente are potential hosts)

                       b.         Dates:   October 11th and 12th, 2018

2.                  Spring 2019

                       a.         Location: TBD

                       b.         Dates:  April 11th and 12th, 2019


            B.         USLA Meeting Dates & Locations

1.                  Spring 2018

                       a.         Location: Long Beach, California

                       b.         Dates:   April 26-28, 2018

2.                  Fall 2018

                       a.         Location: Delray Beach, Florida

                       b.         Dates:   November 1-3, 2018


XI.       Privilege of the Chair

             A.         President's closing comments

1.                  Mr. Humphreys thanked everyone who participated in the productive meeting. He stated that it was truly an honor to be part of a group recognizing some heroes in lifesaving. He said that everyone in the room and everyone who works in our noble profession is a true hero, but it was nice to be able to provide additional recognition for their remarkable actions. He wished all of the delegates and attendees a wonderful summer.

XII.       Adjournment

             A.         Mr. Carey mentioned that Mr. Anderson wants a check for an amount that will be paid to him for the flags and finish lines. Discussion ensued.

MOTION:  Mr. Williams moved that the JG and Lifesaving Sport chairs split the monies owed to the regional host.
SECOND:             Mr. Silvestri
DISCUSSION:  Mr. Beuerlein asked for a cap on the amount. There was an email from Mr. Anderson to Mr. Beuerlein that mentioned that the Lifesaving Sport committee agreed to pay $750 and the JG committee agreed to pay $1500. Mr. Williams amended his motion so that no more than $3000 was spent. The seconder agreed to the amended motion.
ACTION:              MPU

MOTION:  Mr. Beuerlein moved to adjourn in the memory of Sumo Sato, former chaplain of Huntington Beach and Newport Beach, who recently passed away.
SECOND:             Mr. Sandler
DISCUSSION:     None
ACTION:              MPU; meeting adjourned at 11:17 a.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Casey Graham
CSLSA Secretary
secretary@cslsa.org